Thursday, July 08, 2010

Mit Schlagobers

So here I am in Vienna, having arrived in Austria on Saturday morning after a relatively painless flight (actually flights) from Dunedin. There the weather was cold, here it is quite remarkably hot, which is only right at this time of year.

Naturally, I dragged my poor hosts, Tim and Pip Snell, off to mass at the Stephansdom (the cathedral) the day after my arrival. But not until 6pm - I needed to catch up on my sleep! Ever since I first entered this wonderful building a good few years ago now, I have always thought the Stephansdom to be the most beautiful church I have ever seen, and it is always a joy to attend a service there. But not an unalloyed joy, I fear.

Calvin would have been most gratified at the emphasis now placed on edification in the modern Roman mass. In the Stephansdom the celebrant treats us to spontaneous exhortations before the confession, at the offertory, before the Pater Noster, and after the Communion - not to mention the sermon itself. And in my rather limited experience this practice is not at all uncommon. But it leaves me wanting to shout, "Get on with it, Father, for heaven's sake, just get on with it!" And one day I might well do it.

I realise that this is the age of information technology, but unfortunately the Still Small Voice becomes largely inaudible with electronic amplification.

However, Vienna in the summer is wonderful all the same, and I'm most grateful to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment