Thursday, March 11, 2010

And at those Feet

A good few years ago now I sat at the feet of the Dalai Lama in the Town Hall during what I think must have been his first visit to Dunedin. Like most of the other people who virtually filled the hall, I don't think I followed His Holiness' line of thought as closely as I perhaps should have done, but one thing was as clear as a bell. According to the Dharma, all sentient beings would eventual reach eternal bliss.

I couldn't help contrasting this with the Gospel (as commonly received) according to which only human sentient beings would be putting in an appearance beyond the grave, and most of them would immediately find themselves in a place of unbearable and unending torment for reasons of which they were entirely unaware before their arrival. It made me wonder just which is the Good News, the Dharma or the Gospel? According to the latter only cats and dogs, it seems, can face the future with confidence. At least their sufferings will be ending rather than just beginning.

Ah yes, but what about freewill? Surely God is just respecting our freedom. Well, I'm not so sure. Were any of us asked whether we wanted to come into existence in the first place, and thus run the appalling risk of eternal damnation? Speaking personally, I don't remember receiving a questionnaire on the subject myself. And nor do I expect to have any say as to whether I survive my death or not. I'm just going to have to carry on whether I like it or not, in whatever state I find myself, and that state might be rather on the hot side for my eternal comfort.

I would have thought that if God has already made the fundamental choices about my existence for me, then he should be responsible for seeing me right in the end as well. I certainly hope so.


No comments:

Post a Comment